Get On The Saddle!

Chevaux shivapat via Compfight       My passion is horseback riding. Even though I can get a little frustrated sometimes, it’s still my passion and as far as I know, it will always be my passion. Something that is absolutely torture for me is that I am allergic to horses so it’s really hard to be around them. But honestly, Zyrtec helps. It’s really helpful but it only helps me when I take it hours before my lessons. And no, this is not a Zyrtec commercial.

Grooming is what you need to do before you are ready to be on a horse. You probably have to do grooming for a few days before getting on a horse. The reason of this is not only for being able to take better care of your horse, but to be better at bonding with your horse. Make sure to brush the way their coat goes. I learned from experience and it was not exactly pleasant. They need to trust you. Do you really think that they will let on their backs when they haven’t really seen you? Nope. Talking to them play a big part in bonding. Don’t just praise them. Treat them as if they were your stubborn child because if you just got to riding one of them trust me. They can be really bossy. You need to tell them nicely not to do that and if they keep doing it don’t get angry at them because they aren’t going to realize the rules the first time they are told to them. Just talk to them, you know just ask them things and calm them down when they get rowdy. Pet them and make sure they get enough exercise every day. Always make sure they get enough attention.

Taking the reigns is harder than they make it look. That might be why they are called professionals. First step is getting on the saddle. You want to get on very gently so that the horse doesn’t get scared and maybe buck you off. You always want to hold on to the reigns so that if the horse starts moving while trying to get on, you always have control over them to stop them from moving. You may need a mounting block if you can’t get on without a lift. I need a mounting block because I’m not tall enough and I believe from my experience, that it is easier to use a mounting block even if you are tall enough but that’s just my opinion. Make sure that when you are steering, you have your focus on your surroundings and where you are going. You want to be gentle with your horse as if the horse were you.

That is my passion!